Put Risks on Ice with Freeze Preparation & Homeowners Insurance in Austin TX
December 21, 2015
Your homeowners insurance Austin TX and this guide can help you with freeze preparation.
Even last month, weather experts were warning about freezing temperatures coming our way. Now well into December, it’s not surprising that we’re getting cold temperatures. What is surprising is that not all homeowners have taken steps to protect their homes. If you didn’t do these things when preparing for the first freeze, now’s the time to use freeze preparation and your homeowners insurance in Austin, TX to stay safe! Here’s a quick freeze-friendly checklist.
- Buff up your insulation. If you have any areas that are unheated (e.g. your attic), this is especially important.
- Minimize the amount of cold air that can get into your home by re-caulking the seals around your home’s doors and windows and updating your weather stripping as needed.
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses from their faucets and completely drain them of water. It’s also a good idea to install covers over those faucets.
- Make sure that you know where your water main is located. If a pipe does burst due to freezing, knowing how to shut off the water can save your house from major flooding!
- If you live in an area that receives regular snow, avoid ice dams. These occur when warm air leaves your attic and melts the snow on your roof. The melted snow drips down the colder eaves, where it refreezes and forms a barrier. As the ice dam grows, it can cause heavy snow to accumulate on your roof. Best case scenario: that snow melts and leaks into your home. Worst case scenario: it causes your roof to collapse in on itself.
In addition to this guide, you also need homeowners insurance in Austin, TX to protect your home against the winter weather. Work with a team of local Texas insurance agents to make sure you have the right policy for your home’s risks by contacting Central Insurance Agency today.