July is UV Safety Month
July 21, 2014
Despite common belief, skin cancer is a completely preventable cancer and is caused by lifestyle habits. Ultraviolet (UV) rays are one of the leading causes of skin cancer, causing wrinkles and blotchy skin as well. If we work together to raise awareness for skin cancer, we can prevent it from being so common.
How can you make a difference?
- Lead by example – Encourage your family and friends to practice sun safe habits and do so yourself. Encourage others to wear sunscreen on a daily basis and reapply throughout the day. Don’t forget your ears, nose, and face! You can also encourage others to relax in the shade rather than in direct sunlight.
- Ask your boss and administrators to promote July as UV Safety Month. You can make flyers yourself and ask your boss if you are allowed to post the flyers encouraging safe sun habits in the exits of all buildings or in the break room.
- You may also want to contact the administrators of your child’s school and ask them to promote July as UV Safety Month. Starting sun safe habits early in life can be extremely beneficial for children.
- If you operate a company or small business, you may want to add sun safety habits in your monthly newsletter, especially during the summer months when sun exposure and vacationing are more common.
- Tweet about UV Safety Month and post information on all of your other social media platforms.
- Consider hosting a community event where you inform people of sun safe habits, while sitting in the shade of course.
Central Insurance Agency encourages you to increase awareness of skin cancer during July for UV Safety Month. We have been providing Austin residents with personalized insurance services since 1958. Contact us today for all of your health insurance needs. We are always available to answer any and all of your questions.