FIFA World Cup 2014
July 18, 2014
Like millions of others around the world, you have likely been enjoying seeing the battle of the best soccer teams in the 2014 FIFA World Cup matches.Do you know any of the history behind the event?Here is a list of some interesting facts about the World Cup:
- The FIFA World Cup has been ranked as the world’s most widely viewed sporting event. In 2006, 715.1 million people watched the final match.
- Cameroon native, Roger Milla, was 42 years old when he played in the 1994 FIFA World Cup.
- The only two people who have won the title as player and coach are German National Franz Beckenbauer and Brazilian Mario Zagallo.
- Italy went on a 44 year dry period between their 2nd World Cup title in 1938 and their third World Cup title in 1982.
- In 1982, Hungary became the record holder for scoring the most goals during a match – against El Salvador – winning 10 – 1.
- Both Germany and Brazil have made it to the finals on 8 different occasions.
- In 1950, India decided to withdraw from the World Cup competition because they were not allowed to play barefoot.
- American Bert Patenaude scored the very first hat trick in the 1930 FIFA World Cup.
- World War II put a pause on the World Cup from 1942 to 1946.
Central Insurance Agency would like to congratulate the 2014 FIFA World Cup Championship title, congratulations Germany! What an enjoyable match!
We have been providing Austin residents with personalized insurance services since 1958. Contact us today for all of your Austin, Texas insurance needs. We are always available to answer any and all of your questions.